1. In Thermal Stratification where water body is divided into several layers, the middle region which shows vertical temperature change is
2. Consider the following statements regarding Etalin Hydroelectric Project
1. It is based on the river Dibang.
2. It envisages construction of two dams.
3. It will be part of two states.
Which of the above statements is/are correct?
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) All of the above
3. Consider the following statements regarding SAMEER App
1. It is the grievance redressal app for issues relating to air pollution.
2. It has been launched by CPCB and is applicable in NCR only.
Which of the following statements is/are correct?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
4. Consider the following
Arrange them in increasing order of GHG emissions as per Emissions Gap Report 2019
a) 4 < 1< 2 < 3
b) 1 < 4 < 2 < 3
c) 4 < 1 < 3 < 2
d) 1 < 4 < 3 < 2
5. Accelerator Lab has been launched in India by which of the following organizations?
d) None of the above
ANSWERS & EXPLANATION
Explanation: Lake Stratification is the separation of lakes into three layers –
- Epilimnion – the top of the lake.
- Metalimnion (or thermocline) – the middle layer, which may change depth throughout the day.
- Hypolimnion – the bottom layer.
The thermal stratification of lakes refers to a change in the temperature at different depths in the lake, and is due to the change in water’s density with temperature.
Cold water is denser than warm water and the epilimnion generally consists of water that is not as dense as the water in the hypolimnion. However, the temperature of maximum density for freshwater is 4 °C.
Explanation: Etalin Hydroelectric Project is based on the river Di bang in Arunachal Pradesh. It envisages construction of two dams—a 101.5 meter high dam on the Dir River near Yukon village and a 80-meter high dam on Tangon river.
The Dri and Tangon rivers are tributaries of Di bang. An underground powerhouse is proposed with 10 units of 307MW each.
Di bang is a tributary of the Brahmaputra River which flows through the states of Arunachal Pradesh and Assam.
3. Answer: A
Explanation: SAMEER app has been launched wherein air quality information is available to public along with provision for registering complaints against air polluting activities.
The app is developed by the Central Pollution Control Bureau (CPCB) which provides information on air quality for more than 100 cities across the country.
Explanation: As per the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Emissions Gap Report, the top four emitters are China, USA, EU and India.
India is the fourth-largest emitter of Green House Gases (GHGs).It excludes emissions from land-use change such as deforestation.
The rankings would change if land-use change emissions were included, with Brazil likely to be the largest emitter.
Explanation: United Nations Development Programme launches Accelerator Lab in India to work on tackling pollution
It was launched in collaboration with the government’s Atal Innovation Mission and will look to solve issues through innovative solutions.
The laboratory will also seek to address issues like sustainable water management and climate -resilient livelihoods.
The visions to make faster progress in meeting the ambitious Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the U.N. by 2030