1. Which of the following is the nearest to Chagos Archipelago?
d) Reunion Island
2. Which of the statement(s) is/are correct in the context of Heavy Metals
1. Heavy metals have density greater than that of water.
2. All the heavy metals are toxic in nature.
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
3. Which of the following are designated as non-allied navigational satellite systems?
a) 1, 3 and 4
b) 2 and 3
c) 1 and 2
d) 1 and 4
4. Which of the following volcanoe(s) is/are correctly matched with the country they are situated in?
1. Stromboli : Italy
2. Anak Krakatoa: Indonesia
3. White Island: New Zealand
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 2 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) All of the above
5. SAARC Secretariat is situated in
a) Dhakha (Bangladesh)
b) New Delhi (India)
c) Thimpu (Bhutan)
d) Kathmandu (Nepal)
ANSWERS & EXPLANATIONS
1. Answer: A
2. Answer: A
• Long Term exposure to toxic heavy metals may result in slowly progressing physical, muscular, and neurological degenerative processes that mimic Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease, muscular dystrophy and multiple sclerosis.
• The other major contaminants found are lead, nickel, chromium, cadmium and copper
• Lead, cadmium, nickel, chromium and copper contamination are more common in non-monsoon periods while iron, lead, chromium and copper exceeded ‘tolerance limits’ in monsoon periods most of the time
• Arsenic and zinc are the toxic metals whose concentration was always obtained
• The main sources of heavy metal pollution are mining, milling, plating and surface finishing industries that discharge a variety of toxic metals into the environment
• Some lighter metals and metalloids are toxic and, thus, are termed heavy metals though some heavy metals such as gold, typically are not toxic
3. Answer: C
• US Congress has consented to designate India’s NavIC as its ‘allied’ navigational system along with the Galileo of the European Union and QZSS of Japan
• It designated Russia’s GLONASS and Chinese Beidou as a ’non-allied’ system
• It means US satellite navigation system will not cooperate or exchange data with these two satellite navigation systems.
4. Answer: D
• Volcanic Eruptions in 2019
• Italy: Stromboli, Mt. Etna
• Congo: Nyiragongo
• Indonesia: Anak Krakatau, Mt. Sinabung, Mt. Agung, Mt Tang Kuban
• Mexico: Popocatepetl
5. Answer: D
• SAARC was established with signing of the SAARC Charter in Dhaka (Bangladesh) on 8th December 1985
• It has 8 member states
• Secretariat is situated in Kathmandu (Nepal)
• The summits are usually held biennially and hosted by member states in alphabetical order
• Last SAARC summit in 2014 took place in Kathmandu (Nepal) which was attended by India.