1. Which of the following is/are true in context with FDI Confidence Index 2018 ?
1)FDI Confidence Index is released by global management consulting firm KPMG.
2)India ranks 13 this year, down from 8 in 2017 and 9 in 2016
3)As per the report GST implementation challenges, demonetisation may have deterred investors.
b)1 and 3 only
c)Only 1 and 2
d)1, 2 and 3
WHAT IS THE INDEX ALL ABOUT?
➢The Foreign Direct Investment Confidence (FDI) Index prepared by A.T. Kearney is an annual survey which tracks the impact of likely political, economic, and regulatory changes on the foreign direct investment intentions and preferences of CEOs, CFOs, and other top executives of Global 1000 companies.
➢The report includes detailed commentary on the markets and the impact a variety of global trade issues have on their FDI attractiveness, as well as a ranking of the top 25 countries.
India ranks 11 in the 2018 AT Kearney FDI Confidence Index, down from 8 in 2017 and 9 in 2016.
WHY THE FALLOUT?
◦ India in 2018 has fallen out of the top 10 destinations for FDI in terms of its attractiveness, according to an AT Kearney report, which says this could be due to teething troubles in the implementation of the goods and services tax and the government’s demonetisation decision in 2016.
NOTABLE REFORMS DONE
◦ “Notable reforms include the elimination of the Foreign Investment Promotion Board, a government agency responsible for reviewing all potential foreign investment, and the liberalisation of foreign investment thresholds for the retail, aviation, and biomedical industries
2. The objective of Mission Satyanishtha is :
a)To sensitise all railway officers and supervisors about the need to adhere to ethics and maintain high standards of probity in public life
b)To sensitise all Govt. employees about the need to adhere to morals and ethics in public life.
c)To ensure that all the citizen charters should be followed without corruption.
d)None of the above.
3. Recently 10th BRICS SUMMIT was held in South Africa. Which of the following is false?
1)The First BRICS Summit was held in 2008 in Russia.
2)India is going to host the next BRICS summit in 2020.
c)Both 1 and 2
d)None of the above
➢BRICS is an acronym for the grouping of the world’s leading emerging economies, namely Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
➢The BRICS Leaders’ Summit is convened annually with discussions representing spheres of political and socio-economic coordination, in which member countries have identified several business opportunities, economic complementarities and areas of cooperation.
➢The Chairmanship of the forum is rotated annually among the members, in accordance with the acronym B-R-I-C-S.
➢Cooperation among members is predicated on three levels or “tracks” of interaction, namely:
1. Track I: Formal diplomatic engagement between the national governments
2. Track II: Engagement through government-affiliated institutions, e.g. stateowned enterprises and business councils
3. Track III: Civil society and “people-to-people” engagement.
➢The first BRIC Summit took place in 2009 in the Russian Federation and focused on issues such as reform of the global financial architecture.
➢South Africa was invited to join BRIC in December 2010, after which the group adopted the acronym BRICS.
➢Former South African President Jacob Zuma subsequently attended the Third BRICS Summit in Sanya, China, in March 2011.
➢The BRICS approach is informed by the need to deepen, broaden and intensify relations within the grouping and among the individual countries for more sustainable, equitable and mutually beneficial development.
➢This approach takes into consideration each member’s growth, development and poverty objectives to ensure relations are built on the respective country’s economic strengths and to avoid competition where possible.
➢The bloc offers a unique opportunity for BRICS countries to extend and advance their cooperation in ways that meaningfully promote their economic development agendas as well as that of other developing countries.
➢South Africa assumed the rotational Chairmanship of BRICS from 1 January to 31 December 2018.
4. DISEASE SPECIAL In immunization programme of India, Rubella vaccine is included. Rubella is ________ disease:
Rubella, also known as German measles or three-day measles is an infection caused by the rubella virus
5. Which of the following is true with respect to Changing the name of a State?
1) A bill contemplating this can be introduced in the parliament with the prior recommendation of the President only.
2) Before recommending the bill ; President has to refer the bill to the state legislature concerned for expressing its views within a specified time period.
3) The president is bound by the views of the state legislature only if the view is received in time.
4) It is necessary to make a fresh reference to the state legislature every time an amendment to the bill is moved and accepted in the Parliament.
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 1,2 and 4 only
c) 1,2 and 3 only
d) All of the above
6. MAP SPECIAL
Which of the following are Tiger Reserves?
1. Simplipal in Odisha
2. Gahirmatha in Odisha
3. Panna in Madhya Pradesh
4. Bandipur in Karnataka
a) 1, 2 and 3 Only
b)1, 3 and 4 Only
c)2 and 3 Only
d)All of the Above
➢There are 50 tiger reserves in India which are governed by Project Tiger which is administrated by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA).
➢Gahirmatha Beach is a beach in the Indian state of Odisha.
➢The beach separates the Bhitarkanika mangroves from the Bay of Bengal and is the world’s most important nesting beach for Olive Ridley Sea Turtles and isn’t a tiger reserve.
7. APP SPECIAL
The app “Khan Prahari” has been launched to :
a)Acts like an agent in facilitating bank and banking related services, especially in unbanked areas of the country b)Report any activity taking place related to illegal coal mining in India
c)Facilitate date to Senior IAS bureaucrats who have been roped in as ‘prabhari officers’ for the rapid transformation of 115 backward districts .across the country
d)To report violations of Model Code of Conduct (MCC) that comes into effect from the date of announcement of elections and goes on till a day after the polls