1) What is Makarvilakku?
a) It is a form of Kannada folk art that was recently accorded the status of Intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO b) It is an annual Malayali festival held on Makar Sakranti
c) It is a folk dance form in Tamil Nadu using drama and theatrics
d) It is a form of temple architecture from Odisha that was especially popular during the rule of Kalinga dynasty
• Explanation-Makaravilakku is an annual festival held on Makar Sankranti in Kerala at the shrine of Sabarimala. The festival includes the Thiruvabharanam (sacred ornaments of Ayyappan) procession and a congregation at the hill shrine of Sabarimala. An estimated half a million devotees flow to Sabarimala every year to have a darshan (vision) of this ritual. Sabrimala has been facing intense protests after the Supreme Court ruing allowing women of all ages to enter the temple.
2) Which of the following are incorrect with regard to the Gaganyaan?
a) It is an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft intended to be the basis of the Indian Human Spaceflight Programme
b) It is an Indian mission to explore objects beyond the Van Allen Belt
c) It is an Indian near Earth, orbital observatory meant to study approaching celestial objects such as asteroids etc.
d) It is a space research programme meant to introduce satellites to further India’s indigenous GPS like system, NAVIC
• Explanation-Gaganyaan (“Skycraft”) is an Indian crewed orbital spacecraft intended to be the basis of the Indian Human Spaceflight Programme. The spacecraft is being designed to carry three people, and a planned upgraded version will be equipped with rendezvous and docking capability. In its maiden crewed mission, Indian Space Research Organisation’s largely autonomous 3.7-tonne capsule will orbit the Earth at 400 km (250 mi) altitude for up to seven days with a three-person crew on board. The crewed vehicle is planned to be launched on ISRO’s GSLV Mk III in 2022.This HALmanufactured crew module had its first uncrewed experimental flight on 18 December 2014.
3) Which of the following are true about the 19th c. Nadar Revolt?
1. The Nadar Revolt took place in the erstwhile state of Madras
2. The Nadar Revolt was known as the Upper Cloth Movement
3. Due to caste heirarchy, Nadar women were not allowed to wear clothes that covered their breasts and shoulders
4. The Nadar Revolt was also known as Chanar Lahala and Maru Marakkal Samaram
a) 1 and 3
b) 2, 3 and 4
c) 1,2 and 3
d) All of the above
• Explanation- The Channar Lahala or Channar revolt, also called Maru Marakkal Samaram, refers to the fight from 1813 to 1859 of Nadar climber women in Travancore kingdom for the right to wear upper-body clothes to cover their breasts.
4) Which of the following are true with regard to lead contamination?
1. It can be caused by occupational exposure, such as welding.
2. High levels of lead contamination can lower the IQ of adults.
a) Only 1
b) Only 2
c) 1 and 2
d) None of the Above
• Explanation-It has negative outcomes on intellectual disability measures in children. Researchers from Macquarie University in Australia conducted the first ever meta-analysis of lead levels in the blood of children living in India. They found the burden of disease to be significantly larger than previously calculated, with negative outcomes on intellectual disability measures in children.
5) Which of the following is/are true about the Central Vigilance Commission?
i. The CVC is a multi-member body consisting of a Central Vigilance Commissioner (chairperson) and not more than two vigilance commissioners.
ii. They hold office for a term of five years or until they attain the age of sixty five years, whichever is earlier.
iii. After their tenure, they are not eligible for further employment under the Central or a state government
a) i and ii only
b) ii and iii only
c) i and iii only
d) All of the above
• Explanation- They hold office for a term of four years or until they attain the age of sixty five years, whichever is earlier.
• Indian Polity, Laxmikanth
• Source: https://www.business-standard.com/article/finance/cvc-sharesreport-on-top-100-bank-frauds-with-rbi-ed-and-cbi-118101600776_1.html