1) Consider the following statements:-
Statement A: Cholas built splendid temples that were adorned with stone and metal sculpture to recreate the visions of Alvars and Nayanars who sang in the language of the people.
Statement B: Both Nayanars and Alvars were revered by the Vellala peasants
a) if both statements A and B are correct and Statement B is the reason for A
b) if both statements A and B are correct and statement B is not the reason for A
c) if statement A is correct and B is incorrect
d) if statement B is correct and A is incorrect
2) Consider the following statements about Lingayat tradition:-
1. Lingayats encouraged post-puberty marriage and the remarriage of widows.
2. Our understanding of the Virashaiva tradition is derived from vachanas (literally, sayings) composed in Kannada by women and men who joined the movement.
Which of the above are incorrect?
a) 1 only
b) 2 only
c) Both 1 and 2
d) Neither 1 nor 2
3) What does the term ziyarat imply, in the context of Sufism?
a) rules pertaining to conduct of disciples at the dargah
b) pilgrimage to the dargah of the Shaikh on his death anniversary
c) the continuation of a chain of Sufi tradition
d) the rituals of initiation of a disciple in a Sufi tradition
4) Which of the following statements are true in the context of Shaikh Nizamuddin Auliya’s khanqah?
1. There was an open kitchen.
2. Shaving the heads of initiates, yogic exercises were some of the practices that were adopted.
3. Bowing before the Shaikh was also practiced.
a) 1 and 2 only
b) 2 and 3 only
c) 1 and 3 only
d) All of the above
5) Which of the following statements about Guru Nanak are true?
1. He rejected sacrices, ritual baths, image worship, austerities and the scriptures of both Hindus and Muslims
2. He organised his followers into a community.
3. He did not wish to establish a new religion.
4. He proposed a simple way to connect to the Divine by remembering and repeating the Divine Name, expressing his ideas through hymns.
a) 1, 2 and 3 only
b) 2, 3 and 4 only
c) 1, 3 and 4 only
d) All of the above