Some batches of a spice mix sold by MDH were taken off the shelves in the United States for salmonella contamination
- It is a bacteria that commonly causes foodborne illness, sometimes called ‗food poisoning‘
- It is characterised by acute onset of fever, abdominal pain, diarrhoea, nausea and sometimes vomiting Transmission
- Salmonellosis in humans is generally contracted through the consumption of contaminated food of animal origin (mainly eggs, meat, poultry, and milk), although other foods, including green vegetables contaminated by manure, have been implicated in its transmission.
- Person-to-person transmission can also occur through the fecal-oral route.
- Symptoms of salmonellosis are relatively mild and patients will make a recovery without specific treatment in most cases
- Treatment in severe cases is electrolyte replacement and rehydration
- Antimicrobials are also administered if the infection spreads from the intestine to other body parts
Bombay Blood Group
- The four most common blood groups are A, B, AB and O
- When we say someone has blood group A, it means that the person has antigen of type ‗A‘ and antibody of type ‗B‘ in his/her blood group.
The rare, Bombay blood group was first discovered in Mumbai in 1952 by Dr YM Bhende.
o Each red blood cell has antigen over its surface, which helps determine which group it belongs too Bombay blood group, also called hh, is deficient in expressing antigen H, meaning the RBC has no antigen H
- For instance, in the AB blood group, both antigens A and B are found. A will have A antigens; B will have B antigens. In hh, there are no A or B antigens
- Globally, the hh blood type has an incidence of one in four million. It has a higher incidence in South Asia; in India, one in 7,600 to 10,000 are born with this type o Because of inbreeding and close community marriages, the blood type is common in South Asia
- To test for hh blood, an Antigen H blood test is required
- Often it is confused with the O group. The difference is that the O group has Antigen H, while the hh group does not
- If anyone lacks Antigen H, it does not mean he or she suffers from poor immunity or may be more prone to diseases
- Their counts for haemoglobin, platelets, white blood cells and red blood cells are similar to the count of others based on their health index. Because of rarity, however, they do face problems during a blood transfusion
- Rejection may occur if they receive blood from A, B, AB or O blood group.
- hh blood group can donate their blood to ABO blood typesEurasian Economic Union (EAEU) Why in News
- India skipped a meeting of the Eurasian Economic Union (EAEU), which was organised by the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation (SCO) at Xi‘an in China
- EAEU is an international economic union that comprises countries located in northern Eurasia
- Founding members: Armenia, Belarus, Kazakhstan and Russia in 2015 o Kyrgyzstan joined later
- Created in part in response to the economic and political influence of the European Union and other Western countries
1. Increasing cooperation and economic competitiveness for the member states
2. Promotion of stable development in order to raise the standard of living in member states
- It ensures the free movement of goods, services, labor and capital between the states, and provides for common policies in a macroeconomic sphere, transport, industry and agriculture, energy, foreign trade and investment, customs, technical regulation, competition, and antitrust regulation.
- Unlike the Eurozone, it has not established a single currency yet.
Central Adverse List
- The Ministry of Home Affairs with inputs from all the state governments maintains a list of individuals who supported the Khalistan movement in the 1980s and d90s and left India to take asylum abroad.
o Since law and order is a state subject, so state police also utilised for intelligence gathering in order to update the list
- This list included names of pro-Khalistan ―hardliners‖ who had opposed the Operation Blue Star
- This list is not restricted to Punjab or the Khalistan movement; it has names of individuals who are suspected to have links with terror outfits or violated visa norms in a previous visit to India, those who indulged in criminal activities or been accused of sexual crimes against children in their respective countries
- It is constantly used by all Indian Missions and Consulates to stop the individuals named in it from entering India.