Q. What do you understand by Coal Gasification? Do you think it will help to resolve India’s energy crisis? Discuss.
Coal gasification is the process of converting coal into synthesis gas (also called syngas),
which is a mixture of hydrogen (H2), carbon monoxide (CO) and carbon dioxide (CO2).
The syngas can be used in a variety of applications such as in the production of electricity and making chemical products, such as fertilisers.
- Coal Gasification can help to reduce India‟s energy dependence on foreign countries Recent surge in fuel prices, Uncertainty over future supplies
- The usage of locally available coal for making fertilisers would help reduce the import of LNG.
- Coal is the most abundantly available fossil fuel across the country.
- Even low-grade coal can be used in the process (world’s third-largest coal reserves)
Transporting gas is a lot cheaper than transporting coal.
- It will also have the potential for co-development of carbon capture and storage (CCS) technology to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.
- It will also help the country in meeting its CoP-21 Paris Agreement commitments.
- It will also help to address local pollution problems. It has greater efficiency than conventional coal-burning.
UNDERGROUND(IN SITU) COAL GASIFICATION
- The syngas has a variety of applications such as in the production of Electricity Diesel and Jet fuel Synthetic Natural Gas making chemical products, such as fertilisers, etc.
- It is one of the more water-intensive forms of energy production.
- It might lead to – Water contamination Land subsidence Disposing of wastewater safely
- Increase R and D in these environmental-friendly technologies (More impetus and funding to institutions like the National Centre for Clean Coal Research and Development (NCCCR&D).
- Learn from international experience and inviting countries to invest in India.
- All the laws, regulations, governance should be at par with global benchmarks so that it will help increase the confidence of investors.
- The coal gasification if properly pursued will help in reducing energy imports, boosting Make in India and is environment-friendly.
- With more domestic production facilitated, the internal economy could be adjusted and reconfigured to augment the scale and scope of energy production and also open up new avenues for employment and development.