1) Which of the following has maximum area under forest cover?
A. Arunachal Pradesh
B. Madhya Pradesh
C. Andaman & Nicobar
- Source State of Forest Report, 2017
The term ‘Forest Area’ (or recorded forest area) generally refers to all the geographic areas recorded as forest in government records. ‘Forest Cover’ as used in the ‘SFR’ refers to all lands more than one hectare in area, having a tree canopy density of more than 10%.
Thus, the term ‘forest area’ denotes the legal status of the land as per the government records, whereas the term ‘forest cover’ indicates presence of trees over any land.
2) Consider the following statements w.r.t. Great Indian Bustard –
i. It is the state animal of Rajasthan
ii. It is one of the heaviest flying birds
iii. It is critically endangered bird Choose the correct option from the following given below
A. i and ii Only
B. ii and iii Only
C.i and iii Only
D.All of the Above
- It is found in the exclusively in north-western plains particularly parts of Rajasthan and also Pakistan.
It is one of the heaviest flying birds.
It is critically endangered bird. The reasons are depleting habitat, i.e. grasslands especially due to development of infrastructure intrusions.
It is the state bird of Rajasthan.
3) Where all amongst the following do we find Mangroves –
i) North Andamans
iii) Gulf of Khambat
A. All except i
B. All except iii
C. All except iv and vi
- These are some of the very important areas of Mangroves in India. Do remember them.
4) Which agency will be implementing the BIOFIN initiative –
- The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is implementing a global multi country project on Biodiversity Finance Initiative (BIOFIN), which provides tools and methodological framework for measuring expenditure on biodiversity, which the countries may choose to use in their efforts to mobilise resources required for achieving the global and national biodiversity targets.
Launched in October 2012 by UNDP, BIOFIN focuses on national implementation of the methodological framework in the countries that agree to pilot the initiative
5) Which of the following statements w.r.t. Vermin is true –
A. They are included in Schedule V of WPA, 1972.
B. They are included in Schedule I of WPA, 1972.
C. They can be either included in Schedule I or Schedule III of WPA, 1972.
D. None of the Above
- As per Section 62 of the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972, States can send a list of wild animals to the Centre requesting it to declare them vermin for selective slaughter. The Central Government may by notification, declare any wild animal other than those specified in Schedule I and part II of Schedule II of the law to be vermin for any area for a given period of time. As long as the notification is in force such wild animal shall be included in Schedule V of the law, depriving them of any protection under that law.