Distribution – Northern Hemisphere
Laurentian type of climate is found only in two regions.
Only in the northern hemisphere.
Distribution – Not in Southern Hemisphere
Only a small section of continents extends south of 40°S latitude.
- These small sections come under the rain-shadow region of Andes (Patagonia) – leading to aridity and also Westerlies hardly ever reach these regions.
- In other regions, the oceanic influence is very profound.
- Forest tend to be coniferous north of the 50°N latitude.
- South of 50 degree latitude the coniferous give way to deciduous forest .
- Lumbering – timber, paper and pulp industries.
- Fishing is, however, the most outstanding economic activity.
Rainfall – The North American region
- Precipitation occurs all-round the year due to the influence of Atlantic ocean (summer) and the Great Lakes (winter).
- Westerlies carry moisture from Great Lakes causing wet conditions in winter.
- Warm Gulf Stream increases the moisture of easterly winds.
- Convergence of the warm Gulf Stream and the cold Labrador Current near Newfoundland rise to much precipitation.
Rainfall – The Asiatic region
- Rainfall regime resembles the tropical monsoon type in India.
- Intense heating of the mountainous interior of China in summer creates a region of extreme low pressure, and moisture-laden winds from the Pacific Ocean and the Sea of Japan blow in as the South-East Monsoon.
- Rainfall distribution of the Asiatic region is far less uniform when compared to North American Region.
- The warm Kuroshio makes the climate of Japan less extreme.
- The climate of Japan is modified by the meeting of warm and cold ocean currents.
- It receives adequate rainfall from both the South-East Monsoon in summer and the North-West Monsoon(Sea of Japan) in winter.
Temperature – The Asiatic region
Winters are cold and very dry while summers are very warm and exceptionally wet.
Note – Much of the winter precipitation in northern China, Korea and Hokkaido, Japan, is in the form of snow.
➡️UPSC 2023 General Studies Course: https://sleepyclasses.com/general-studies-for-upsc/
➡️Sociology Optional for UPSC : https://sleepyclasses.com/sociology-for-upsc/
➡️Political Science and IR for UPSC: https://sleepyclasses.com/psir-for-upsc/
➡️Signup here – https://sleepyclasses.com/
Have any query related to UPSC preparation: 📞Contact Us ► Toll-Free: 1800 890 3043 ► Mobile: 6280133177 ► Email: Sleepy.Classes@gmail.com ► WhatsApp: 6280133177