Write a critical note on the evolution and significance of the slogan “Jai Jawan Jai Kisan”. 200 words
- Prime Minister of India – Lal Bahadur Shastri in the aftermath of the war between India and Pakistan in 1956 at a public gathering at Ramlila Maidan, Delhi gave voice to this famous slogan.
- During that time there was scarcity of food grains in the country. PM Shastri gave this slogan to enthuse the soldiers to defend country and simultaneously cheer famers to do their best to increase the production of food grains and to reduce dependence of import, thus hitting the bull’s eye as per the depend of the time and therefore becoming a very popular slogan.
- With the time, “Jai Vigyan” was added to above slogan by Atal Bihari Vajpayee in 1998, to underline the importance of science and knowledge in India’s progress. With reference to the 2021 Union Budget, Shashi Tharoor rephrased the slogan as “Na Jawan Na KIsan” in the parliament in the wake of ongoing Farmer’s protest in the country.
- The slagon of “Jai Jawan Jai Kisan” seems to be losing its glory if we look at the fact that around 11000 farmers committed suicide in 2019 alone and at the same time, the plight of Soldiers in Army and other paramilitary forces seems to be worsening with time, Viral video by BSF soldier Tej Bahadur Yadav was a reflection of the same.
- Today need of the hour is to restore the fading away glory of the famers and soldiers on whose shoulders the Idea and vision of India stands.