Why in News
- Recently, the government has prepared the Draft Indian Ports Bill, 2022.
Major VS Minor Ports
- All the Major Ports are governed under the Major Port Trusts act, 1963 and are owned and managed by the Central Government.
- Exception – Ennore – Companies Act 1956
- All the Minor Ports are governed under the Indian Port Act, 1908 and are owned and managed by the State Governments.
- Kolkata (Shyamaprasad Mukherjee Port ) – India’s only major Riverine port – Situated on Hugli river(Diamond Harbor) – Natural Harbor- Oldest Operating Port – Gateway to Eastern India
- Paradip – Natural Harbor – India’s first major port after independence on east coast –Mahanadi
- Vishakhapatnam– Deepest Port of India – Natural Harbor- Oldest Shipping Yard –Deepest landlocked Port
- Ennore – India’s First corporatized port- Kamajar Port – First and Only corporatized major port in India – registered as a company
- Chennai – Artificial Port-– Gateway to southern India
- Tuticorin – V.O. Chidambaram port – Pearl Fishery
- Kandla Port – Deendayal Port – Natural – Gulf of Kutch
- Mumbai Port Trust – Natural – Second Oldest Port – India’s Largest port by size – India’s Largest Natural Port
- Jawaharlal Nehru Port Trust (JNPT) – Artificial – India’s largest container port – largest artificial Port in India
- Mormagao- Natural Port – Goa – Estuary of Zuari River
- New Mangalore – Natural – Gateway of Karanataka
- Kochi Port – Natural – Sited in the Vembanad lake – Queen of Arabian Sea – Willington Island
➡️UPSC 2023 General Studies Course: https://sleepyclasses.com/general-studies-for-upsc/
➡️Sociology Optional for UPSC : https://sleepyclasses.com/sociology-for-upsc/
➡️Political Science and IR for UPSC: https://sleepyclasses.com/psir-for-upsc/
➡️Signup here – https://sleepyclasses.com/
Have any query related to UPSC preparation: 📞Contact Us ► Toll-Free: 1800 890 3043 ► Mobile: 6280133177 ► Email: Sleepy.Classes@gmail.com ► WhatsApp: 6280133177