1) Which of the following is/are correct –
1. The Government of India announced agriculture as the prime moving force of the economy in 1960’s during Green Revolution.
2. Due to failure of agriculture, the Government of India announced Industry as the prime moving force of the economy in 2002
3. China, in 1949, adopted a model of development with Agriculture as the Prime Moving Force.
A. 1 & 2
B. 3 Only
C. 2 & 3
D. All are correct
- Soon after the independence, the Indian government selected industry to be the prime moving force of the Indian development. The Indian model was deeply influenced by the then leadership. Jawaharlal Nehru guided the economic thinking of the time and laid his faith in the industrial sector. Thus, the early model of Indian economic development has been referred to as ‘Nehruvian Economics‘.
2) With respect to agrarian seasons in India, which of the following is/are correct –
1. The kharif cropping season is from October to March during the South-West/Summer Monsoon.
2. The rabi cropping season is from July to October (North-East/Returning/Winter Monsoon).
3. Rice, maize, sorghum, pearl millet/bajra are Rabi crops.
4. Wheat, barley, oats are Kharif crops.
A. 1 & 2
B. 2 & 3
C. 2,3 & 4
- The agricultural crop year in India is from July to June. The Indian cropping season is classified into two main seasons- (i) Kharif (ii) Rabi They are based on the monsoon. The kharif cropping season is from July to October during the SouthWest/Summer Monsoon The rabi cropping season is from October to March (North East/Returning/Winter Monsoon). The crops grown between March and June are summer crops, known as jayads. The kharif crops include rice, maize, sorghum, pearl millet/bajra, finger millet/ragi (cereals), arhar (pulses), soyabean, groundnut (oilseeds), cotton,etc. The rabi crops include wheat, barley, oats (cereals), chickpea/gram (pulses), linseed, mustard (oilseeds) etc.
3) Arrange the following core industries in decreasing order of their contribution:
ii. Crude oil
Choose the correct order from the following –
A. i > iv >ii >iii
B. iv > i >ii >iii
C. iv > i >iii >ii
D. i > iv >iii >ii
- In IIP, the decreasing order of core industries among them is as Refinery products> Electricity> Steel> Coal> Crude> Cement> Natural gas> Fertilizers
4) Shreya Singhal case, a landmark in the history of Indian judiciary, relates to –
A. Rights of Transgenders
B. Reservation for Economically Weaker Sections
C. Triple Talaq
- Shreya Singhal v. Union of India is a judgement by a two-judge bench of the Supreme Court of India in 2015, on the issue of online speech and intermediary liability in India. The Supreme Court struck down Section 66A of the Information Technology Act, 2000, relating to restrictions on online speech, unconstitutional on grounds of violating the freedom of speech guaranteed under Article 19(1)(a) of the Constitution of India. The Court further held that the Section was not saved by virtue of being ‘reasonable restrictions’ on the freedom of speech under Article 19(2). The case was a watershed moment for online free speech in India.
5) Sunil Chhetri, India’s legendary sportsperson, is associated with –
- Sunil Chhetri has scored 2nd highest number of goals in international matches among active players after Cristiano Ronaldo. He is the most-capped Indian player. He is the all-time top goalscorer for the Indian national team, with 67 goals in 105 appearances. He is the former captain of the Indian national team. Sunil Chhetri was named an ‘Asian Icon’ by AFC on his 34th birthday. He plays as a striker winger for and captains both the Indian Super League side Bengaluru FC and the Indian national team.
6) Gas Hydrates primarily consist of –
- Gas hydrates are a crystalline solid formed of water and gas. It looks and acts much like ice, but it contains huge amounts of methane. It is known to occur on every continent. It exists in huge quantities in marine sediments in a layer several hundred meters thick directly below the sea floor and in association with permafrost in the Arctic. It is not stable at normal sea-level pressures and temperatures, which is the primary reason that it is a challenge to study.
Gas hydrates are important for three reasons:
1. They may contain a major energy resource 2. It may be a significant hazard because it alters sea floor sediment stability, influencing collapse and landsliding 3. The hydrate reservoir may have strong influence on the environment and climate, because methane is a significant greenhouse gas.