Home » Mains Sociology Paper 1
Answer the following questions in about 150 words each:
- Europe was the first and the only Place where modernity emerges comment.
- Do you think ethnomethodology helps us in getting reliable and valid data? Justify your answer
- Discuss the challenges involved in collecting data through census method.
- Explain whether Durkheim’s theory of Division of Labour is relevant in the present-day context.
- Critically examine Max Weber’s theory of Social Stratification.
- From the viewpoint of growing important of multidisciplinary, how do you relate sociology to other social sciences?
- How far are sociologists justified in using positivist approach to understand social reality? Explain with suitable illustrations.
- How is sociology related to common sense?
- How do qualitative and quantitative methods supplement each other in sociological enquiry?
- Critically examine the dialectics involved in each mode of production as propounded by Karl Marx.
- Do you agree with Max Weber’s idea that bureaucracy has the potential to become an iron cage? Justify your answer
- Explain the concept of Social mobility. Describe with suitable illustrations how education and social mobility are related to each other.
- How has the idea of ‘Work from Home’ forced us to redefine the normal and informal organization of work?
- With suitable examples, explain how conformity and deviance coexist in a society as propounded by R.K Merton.
- Explain the emerging challenges in establishing gender equality in the informal sector. 10
- Critically examine the relevance of Vilfredo Pareto’s theory of Circulation of Elites in the present scenario. 10
- Critically compares the views of E. B Tylor and Max Muller on Religion. 10
- What is cult? Explain the growth of cults in the contemporary World. 10
- Do you think Talcott Parsons gave an adequate theory of social change? Justify your answer. 10
- Elucidate the main problems and challenges faced by the migrant labourers in the recent ‘Lockdown period’. 20
- Explain how political parties and pressure groups are dialectically related to each other in terms of achieving their goals. 20
- Give your comments on the growth of religious revivalism in the present-day context. 10
- Explain how the pattern of patriarchy is being altered in a family and at the workplace in the present context. 20
- Critically examine the contribution dependency theories in understanding the present global scenario. 20
- Explain the growing salience of ethnicity in the contemporary world with illustrations. 10
- Discuss the changing nature of kinship relations in the contemporary world. 20
- Describe the role of science & Technology in enabling us to face the challenges triggered by the COVID – 19 pandemics. 20
- Highlight the roles and function of civil society in an democratic system. 10